Wednesday, April 1, 2015

Wake-Up Call

I think that growing up with one parent that had a chronic illness, you take for granted that there was only one parent you needed to worry about.  There was only one parent that you would get that call...in the hospital...doctors don't know what to do...this is our last resort.  I really have lived the last 36 years only thinking of the possibility of losing one parent....until last weekend.
As I was driving into Boston to spend a night with my brother-in-laws, I spoke with my sister to find that our mother was diagnosed with breast cancer.  My initial reaction was shock, of course...I think I shook for a good hour.  Not one to lose it in front of others, it was when I went to bed that night that the reality sank in.

My Mom is the backbone in our family...the one who is always willing to take care of others...has ridden the roller coaster that comes when your husband is diagnosed with Crohn's Disease just a year after you are married for almost 50 years...calls someone when they need it...remembers every single solitary birthday (her calendar is filled), anniversary, or special event...I don't think I have ever heard her say she wanted anything...ever put herself first...ever complained.  I guess that would explain why when she received her diagnosis she basically wanted to quickly divert the attention OFF of her!
Thankfully her cancer was caught early and the doctors have a plan that they feel will work well.  She caught it very early (PS I need to now STOP putting off that mammogram!) and will be just fine.  However, this past week I have found myself thinking...those damn what ifs...and I catch my breathe...thinking I honestly don't know what I would do without my Mom...and I don't want them to be without her!

4 comments:

  1. ((((HUGS HUGS HUGS. I GET THIS. I need to get home for a visit.)))))

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad that it was caught early! Give lots of love to her :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thinking of you Nancy and sending tons of hugs. I am so glad to hear that they caught it early. I know you will wrap around your mom with the light and positivity that she needs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thinking of you Nancy and sending tons of hugs. I am so glad to hear that they caught it early. I know you will wrap around your mom with the light and positivity that she needs.

    ReplyDelete