Thursday, December 31, 2009
Well 2009 is rolling to a close whether or not we want it to. Does anyone else feel a little down on new years? I will say though this year I plan to be ringing in the new year in a better spot than last. Last year I was nursing Emma and crying because it hurt so bad! It has been an amazing year and decade! I started the decade by graduating from college...getting my first teaching job...and gaining a brother-in-law...now in 10 years I have gotten married...travelled...ran the Boston Marathon...and became a mommy! Wow! This year I have watched my little peanut grow into a beautiful 1 year-old who has a great sense of humor and loves to learn new things!(Not that I biased or anything but she's the best!)
I am really looking forward to 2010 and all that it has to bring! I normally have the same resolutions each year to lose weight and get more organized but this year I am being more specific and intentional.
Running: My goal is to run at least 4 half marathons in 2010 with at least one of them to be a sub 2 hour race! I also want to improve my short races and get a 5k under 25 min! Also on the racing docket this year....a triathlon! I know it will be a challenge but I am so excited!
Body: My body goal has two parts. I do want to lose 13 more pounds. I have gotten just below my prepregnancy weight but I know that the less I weigh the faster I can be. The second part may seem to contradict the first. My second body goal is to accept the way that I look. This is going to be a challenge since I don't remember a time when I looked in the mirror and I saw what was looking back at me. I need to meet this goal not only for myself but more importantly for my daughter. When I found out that I was having a girl I was really nervous that my bad body image and habits would rub off on her. I know the only way I can help keep that from happening is by being a good example for her. I can show her how to be healthy and celebrate the great body that God gave me. There are many people who only dream of being able to run...I need to keep it in perspective and be a better role model for Emma.
Mind: In May I will finish my CAGS degree in Ed. Leadership...I hope to follow that up with an acceptance to a doctoral program.
Spirit: My goal here is simple...to relax. Easier said than done! My body has been trying to tell me through chest pains and other things that it is time to breathe...there are so many things out of my control but I need to leave them there and not try to control them! I need to take deep breaths and know that God is in control. I need to only do my best each day and accept what I cannot control. Life is meant to be enjoyed and I have so much to be thankful for that I just need to relax and enjoy it!
What will 2010 bring you? I with you all a happy and healthy new year!!!
Tuesday, December 29, 2009
Sunday, December 27, 2009
I am famous for forgetting things either at my house on my way to my parents' house or at my parents' house on the way back to my house. This year was no exception! We packed up the car with what seemed like everything we owned and headed to Newport. A few hours after we got there, I asked the hubs to take Emma's dresses (she had 3...2 from her uncle and one from her Grammy) out of the car so they wouldn't be too cold for her when it was time for church. Well he came back in the house only to tell me that the dresses were not in fact in the car. Now I have to admit I was very over tired but I started crying! I wanted her to look so cute at church and she was going to have to wear her Santa dress that she has worn all day! Well she did look cute but as I looked around the service there were little girls in there dresses and bows and it made me want to cry again! (like I said I was very over tired!) Well my wonderful hubs drove all the way back to Boston after church to get the dresses! 3 hours of driving! She was able to wear them on Christmas day and she did look absolutely adorable! Thanks to him!!!
This morning I am exhausted but the week before the new year always makes me hopeful! I get excited making goals for the coming year! I can't believe a decade has gone by! This one has been a life changing one...beginning with graduating from college and ending being married with a 1 year old! I will be spending this week watching every "Best of" count down and making my own goals list! I already mapped out my races and it is exciting!
Today I hope to get out when the rain stops to run 10 so I can get above 40 points in the HBBC and try out some of my new toys I got for Christmas! I let you know how they all work!
Thursday, December 24, 2009
All that to say that I will not be in bloggy world for a few days. I am heading out for a run this morning in the wicked cold and then we are off! Have a wonderful holiday all of you! Enjoy the magic of the season...the closeness of those you love...and the day off!!!
Tuesday, December 22, 2009
So I am off to jump around my basement doing some sort of On Demand video! Hopefully when I am done I will not feel like my skin is crawling!
Monday, December 21, 2009
On a fun note Mel at Tall Mom is having an awesome giveaway! It is all about GU which I just recently became a fan of...check out an old post where I compared it to frosting!
Today I started my quest to getting 40+ points on the HBBC by taking a BURN class at my gym...75 minutes of craziness! I wish I could take it everyday! It is on the spin bikes and you alternate between the bikes and weights! It's awesome! Tomorow it is back to running....quick question- How much do I need to run outside to train for my half? I have to wait until the hubs gets home from work to run especially now since it is freezing. I don't want to take Emma out in this. Well he gets home around 5:30 and then I jump on the treadmill. I run my long runs outside on the weekend but is this enough?
Well my little love has turned 1 and I can't believe it! It was very appropriate that we had a huge storm starting on Saturday (her birthday) since it snowed for 3 days last year as I sat in the hospital! We gave out snowflake ornaments as the favor for her party...seemed right! We had a great party with family and friends (I have to post a pic. of the cake...loved it!!!). It always warms my heart to see just how many people love and care for Emma. She has blessed so many people in such a short time and I am so excited to see where God's plan is going to take her! Right now she is just about running all over the house! She did about 2 days of the "drunk stumble" and now she is walking everywhere!!! My parents joked at the party that of course my daughter would go from a stumble to running!
I was hoping for a snow day today but no such luck! I am off to work for 3 days so I guess I can't complain. BURN class tonight and hopefully a run too...gotta get to 40 points!!!
Wednesday, December 16, 2009
- 3 eggs
- 1 1/4 cups packed light brown sugar
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 12-ounce jar creamy peanut butter
- 1 stick butter, softened
- 1/2 cup multi-colored chocolate candies
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup raisins, optional
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 4 1/2 cups quick-cooking oatmeal (not instant)
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line cookie sheets with parchment paper or nonstick baking mats.
In a very large mixing bowl, combine the eggs and sugars. Mix well. Add the salt, vanilla, peanut butter, and butter. Mix well. Stir in the chocolate candies, chocolate chips, raisins, if using, baking soda, and oatmeal. Drop by tablespoons 2 inches apart onto the prepared cookie sheets.
Bake for 8 to 10 minutes. Do not overbake. Let stand for about 3 minutes before transferring to wire racks to cool. When cool, store in large resealable plastic bags.Enjoy Ya-all!!!
Monday, December 14, 2009
These things are in true Paula Dean style...stick of butter, container of peanut butter, M&Ms, chocolate chips, and oatmeal. They really are awesome but boy just one and you can feel your hips expand! I'm glad he got them out of the house this morning!!!
I am making my goals list and checking it twice for 2010! I am excited to have this blog to keep me accountable! Also you all are so inspiring that it is making me try things I never would have done before...or should I say TRI????!!!
Sunday, December 13, 2009
I also tried GU for the first time during my run today....I tried the chocolate mint flavor...I tentatively took about 1/3 of it and......I thought to myself..."Good Lord Almighty! Why have I waited so long to try this?"
It looked like this:
but tasted like this:
I split it into three part even though I wanted to pour the whole thing down my throat all at once! And...my stomach felt great! I can't wait to try more!
Friday, December 11, 2009
First things first...I hit my prepregnancy weight!!! I am very excited about this but I still have 10lbs more to go! I really need to lose these next 10lbs...I just need to do it for me.
It has been really hard for me to verbalize this...I never thought I would do this but I find it hard to do things for me lately and they are all starting to catch up with me. A good example of this my poor excuse for hair. The last time I had it done was 6 months ago!! YIKES! Now lucky me I have curly hair so I can get away with a little but I have gone WAY past the allotted time! I just have a hard time...maybe it's guilt because I am working and would be taking even more time away from Emma...I don't know. However, this came to a big reality check for me last week. I was having chest pains for about 4 weeks that I was trying to ignore, coupled with an eye twitch that wouldn't quit I was a mess. I called my doctor about the chest and they told me I had to go to the ER because they would be able to do tests there. Well....I never went. And as much as I know I really need to get it checked out and get my physical I just saw it as a colossal waste of time to go to the ER and have someone tell me that I need to relax. Some days I look in the mirror and don't recognize myself. I feel like sometimes I am trying so hard to just stay above water that weeks fly by and I never take time to recharge my batteries. Is this normal? How do I make it all fit????
On a more positive note, I ran in a local 5K last weekend and was so excited with my time!!! I got done in 25:20. Now that isn't my fastest but it is 2 minutes faster than my last one I ran in May. I was so mad though because I didn't know where the finish line was. Before I knew what was going on, we turned a corner and there it was. Either way I am excited with my time and I was able to run with my good friend Jill. We dressed up too!!!
Now it's on to my next half marathon. It is coming up in February and from what I hear it is a flat course. I bought some GU and am going to try it. I am really hoping to reach my goal of under 2 hours with this race but I am a little worried with the weather. It is on Cape Cod...in Feb=friggin freezing!
My goal is to make my goals list for 2010...Mel at Tall Mom has inspired me to get them down and stop putting it off! I hope you all have a great night!
Monday, November 30, 2009
This weekend I had to take that long walk to my trainers office to try on my skinny jeans since the contest ended. I went with Emma in my arms just in case it was bad I at least had her for my comfort! She does give great hugs! I knew that I had only lost 2-4lbs since the challenge started but I was curious what the HBBC had done for my body shape in just one week. Well........BooYa! They fit! "What did you say Lucky Brand Jeans?" "Oh yeah I thought so!" I was so excited I almost kissed my trainer but seriously had tears in my eyes! I of course called my Mom on the way home! Later that night I was going through some old pictures because I was looking for some to compare this year's tree picture with last years and this is what I found.....This is what I looked like just about the same time last year when my skinny jeans were just a glimmer of hope....Heck seeing my ankles again was just a glimmer of hope! I will have the hubs take a picture of me in my jeans for my next post!
I just have to say that I LOVED everything I ate today! Funny how that happens and in a few minutes I am going to go try to burn it off in the basement while I watch the Pats. I have really been challenging myself for the HBBC to get in my veggies and fruits. So here is what I had and I have to say my belly was ok!
Breakfast: smoothie with protein, a banana, oatmeal, and frozen berries
Snack: yummy tangerine
Lunch(my favorite): roasted veggies with balsamic vinegar(squash, zucchini, mushrooms, peppers, and onions. I put it on a flax wrap with veggie humus. Yum-O!!
Dinner: Clean taco salad
Now I am off to the treadmill!
1. For skinny jeans that no longer haunt me in my sleep. This was a huge hurdle for me!
2. For a hubby that gets super excited for Christmas. It is so fun to share it with him and Emma!
3. My treadmill....it saves the day sometimes!
4. Being done with Christmas cards and birthday invites....done and sent!
5. For technology and science....I have spoken a lot about my Dad on this blog and he currently gets most of his nutrients from an IV feeding bag he hooks up at night. Without this he would be just about 100lbs on a good day. I am so thankful for science because he can be at a healthy weight!!!
Tuesday, November 24, 2009
My challenge, other than the stretching, has been to get in enough veggies. A few years ago I would have a huge salad every day for lunch. I would pile a ton of veggies on it and have my 7 veggies all in one sitting. What I couldn't figure out was why I looked about 6 months pregnant afterwards. Also I began to have stomach pains that were increasingly worse. Since my father has Chrone's Disease, my doctor sent me right in for tests and diagnosed me with IBS. I have found it difficult now to get in enough veggies since I can no longer have that huge salad. I have tried to have it again but the symptoms just get worse and worse. As much as I love salads, they just don't love me back. Any suggestions?????
1. Being able to dance around my living room with my daughter....does it get any better than this?! I don't think so!
2. Passed down recipes...I made two pecan pies tonight with my Mom's crust recipe. I miss her so much when I don't get to see her!
3. Half days...the kids get out at 10:45!!! Yipee!!!!
4. Thanksgiving weekend...No work means lots of time home with Emma and running!!
5. My family...It makes me cry every time I think about not being with them on Thanksgiving. I am so thankful for them and for their constant and unconditional support!!!
Monday, November 23, 2009
I am so excited for this challenge because it also is running right along with a challenge my gym is having through the holiday. The Bootie Buster gets me to get moving while the other challenge makes me accountable for my eating. It's gotta work!!! I try on my skinny jeans for the last time on Saturday....can't make any promises. I lost 3 lbs but after a c-section, things just don't tighten the way you would think they should! I have been looking too for a good on demand yoga or pilates ab workout. I have fios....any suggestions?
This weekend was a blur since I had to take Emma to the ER with a high temp on Saturday night while I was visiting my family. I think I have gotten about 2 hours of sleep since! She was diagnosed with bronchitis but all she wants to do is drape herself all over me! Normally I would love this but I am so tired. I am keeping my fingers crossed that she will make it through the night!
1. I am so thankful for my family! My Mom woke up at midnight to go to the ER with me while my Dad stayed home and prayed for Emma! They are so great! Plus my sister has been checking in on me to make sure I stay sane! They are just so supportive and I was so happy to be home!
2. Long runs with a partner! I ran on Saturday with my friend Jill. Boy I missed running with her! We had so much to catch up on that 2 hours flew by! I loved it and logged 13 miles!
3. My hubby...he drove down from Boston in the middle of the night Saturday just to make sure his baby girl was ok!
4. Personal days...I am so thankful for a job that will still give me a day's pay even though I am home with my daughter. I don't even have to worry about it like I know so many do!
5. Challenges....they keep me focused and fuel my competitiveness!
Wednesday, November 18, 2009
I have been in school the last 2 1/2 years getting my CAGS degree in Educational Leadership. A CAGS is between a master's and a doctorate. This past summer many people in our group were talking about going on to continue on to Northeastern to the doctoral program. My quote exactly at that time was "No chance in hell! My husband would divorce me for even asking!" Well fast forward to last month when my husband says..."Have you thought about going on to get your doctorate? I mean we are already in school mode". Picture my FLOORED and SPEECHLESS. This doesn't happen often. Well this has led to my month long study of the word contentment and what it has meant in my life.
I looked back in my life and I can honestly say I have never just been content with something until I became a Mom, however I now desire to be the best Mom for Emma every day! This lack of contentment at first made me very sad. I mean we are looking at 30 years here! I have a habit of doing something and then mulling over how I could have done it better and when I am going to try it again! I then went from sad to envious of those who could just reach their goal and be content. (now you can see why this took me so long to post!) I would love to run a marathon and be happy I finished and not beat myself up over the time. I would love to look in the mirror and be thankful for a healthy body void of deformities and serious injuries. My question is then....are we ever content?
This has always been something we all would joke about with me and it never hit me until my friend commented on something I said. I told her that after I finished my doctorate I would never have to go back to school again. To that she laughed and said "Yeah right! You'll think of something else!" I want to be a good example for Emma and show her that she can accomplish anything if she works hard, but I also want to teach her to enjoy the journey and be content when she reaches that goal. How do I do that if I am not living it? UGH! I still have no answers other than I am going to apply for the program at Northeastern. I have 3 more years and then I will once and for all be done with school. I also have 3 more years to work on this whole contentment thing.
But of course I am thankful!!!
1. I am thankful for answered prayers even when I am so not deserving sometimes!!! We have been very tight in the budget area lately and yesterday I was asked to teach a course for another school district for 3 times the amount that I usually get paid!!
2. I am so thankful for my baby girl! She is just such a joy every day! I can't believe that tomorrow she is 11 months old...it makes me so sad but it also makes me soak in every second I can get with her! She has become such a loving and sweet little girl!
3. I am also so thankful for my hubby! He is so flexible to help me get to the gym whenever I need to. He's great and is so amazing with Emma too!
4. I am thankful that my niece is feeling much better. She had "the oink" and then got pneumonia. She is much better now and that leads me to my final and major thing I am thankful for today....
5. I get to go visit my family this weekend!!!!!!!! I was going to go last weekend but everyone was sick. I can't wait to see them and have Emma play everyone!!!!
Thursday, November 12, 2009
Thursday, November 5, 2009
Wednesday, November 4, 2009
An update on the skinny jeans challenge: I can button the jeans!!! I still would never be caught dead in them in public but progress is progress! The end is in 4 weeks at the end of November. I finally came to the conclusion between trying on the jeans and watching Biggest Loser (GO RUDY!!!). I finally asked myself...WHAT AM I WAITING FOR??? I know that my weight loss is a series of choices...choosing to stay away from crappy food...choosing to spend time on Sunday prepping everything...choosing to run and workout. This weight is doing nothing but bringing me down in so many ways and now is the time. I need to choose to do this for myself! I know I can do it! Now if I could just scoop up Jillian and have her live with me I would be even better!
Now it's thankful time!
1. Emma is just so lovey lately and I can't get enough of it! She gives me a hug when I pick her up at daycare and when she wakes up in the morning. We just look at each other and laugh all the time! She really is such a content little girl and I am just having a blast with her!
2. I'm so thankful for these endorphins! I missed them so much!!!!
3. The Eat-Clean magazine my sister gave me. I made an AWESOME Sloppy Joe recipe tonight for dinner. Sloppy Joes are my all time favorite and these were really great and only 190 calories with cheese! Yum-o!
4. I'm thankful my school has a health clinic inside it....this way all the students can get flu shots. Working in an inner-city school this is a God send! I was also able to get my flu shot from them too saving me lots of time!
5. I'm thankful all the Halloween candy is GONE!!! That friggin stuff haunted me in my sleep!!!
Have a great night!!
Sunday, November 1, 2009
It really made me all but forget the CRUDDY run I had on Saturday(and cruddy is the nice first grade word)! It really set the tone for my whole day. My knee was hurting and my quad was wicked tight. I had to cut it short by 3 miles. I was thankful for getting to run on such a warm October day but I wanted to get much further! The day was all but a wash until I put Emma in her bumble bee costume and I couldn't help but burst out laughing! She was so cute!!! Well another week starts...I have to try on my skinny jeans tomorrow for the half-way point. Yikes!!!
Oh and I can not forget my good friend Carrie...she finished her first half-marathon today!!!! I couldn't be more proud of her!!!!!
Here are some things I am thankful for this weekend:
1. Being able to watch the USA win the NYC marathon with my daughter! It was so exciting!
2. My hubby who woke up early with Emma who forgot we gained an hour sleep!
3. My Mom....seriously I wish my family was much closer but she is always willing to talk with me on the phone whenever! Really cures my lonely days!
4. My Dad's tube in and hooked up! My father has Chrone's Disease and he has been getting his nutrition from TPN and it had come out. He was down to 100lbs. but now he has it back in and is on the rise!
5. My brother-in-laws....they came over on Halloween night just to see Emma. They are both single guys with stuff to do and people to see but they just love her and wouldn't think twice when it came to seeing her!
I hope you all enjoy your extra hour of sleep!
Monday, October 26, 2009
1. I am so thankful for Fall evening runs. The colors are beautiful and the air is so nice and crisp! Love it!
2. I'm thankful beyond words for supportive friends! Thank you Carrie! You rock and are going to ROCK your half this Sunday!
3. I'm so thankful that my Mom and sister were able to come to visit yesterday! It was so nice to see them and sit down to a bowl of my Mom's homemade mac and cheese. Not waist friendly but good for the soul! I miss them so much and it was great to see them.
4. Which brings me to this one....I'm thankful I have such a talented sister who took 150 BEAUTIFUL family pictures of my hubby, daughter and I! Seriously it is going to be hard to choose!!!
5. I'm thankful for candy corns! My Mom brought me a huge bag which I really need to bring to school with me tomorrow (can't stop eating them!) but I just love them!
Have a terrific Tuesday!!!
Sunday, October 18, 2009
Well Monday is upon us again! I am ending this week being thankful yet again! I did a little better this week fitting in workouts and hoping to do even better this coming week. I am really looking forward to Thursday. My gym is having an open house and there is a 75 minute master spin class taught by 3 instructors! Aside from running, I LOVE TO SPIN!!! It makes me feel like a bad ass because I can just cruise along! Either way here are my five things! Congrats to all of the marathoners this weekend!!! Way to go!!!
1. I'm thankful to have Tom Brady back....we are hardcore Patriots fans and were very sad about Tom Brady playing....well...sucky! He kicked butt today and in the snow no less!!
2. I'm thankful for having two runs outside this week! The treadmill is good but nothing beats a great run outside in the Fall!!!
3. I am SO thankful Emma is feeling much better....that equals much more sleep for momma!
4. I'm thankful I get to talk to my Mom every morning! It started when I was getting married. I would call her and give her a list of things to do each day....that was about 4 years ago and I look forward to talking with her every day! She rocks!
5. I'm thankful for an injury free body! This past July I hurt my back to the point where I had to be taken out of the gym by ambulance....very embarrassing! It set me back 4 weeks in training but I am happy to say that it has stayed away since then!
Have a great Sunday night! Those who finished their marathons this weekend...rest easy you did it!!!
Wednesday, October 14, 2009
So back to thankfulness.....
1. Late night gym workouts. I was able to go last night when Emma went to sleep. I was dreading going so late but the gym was pretty empty and I was able to really get in a great weight workout!!
2. No infections....Emma has been sick lately and this morning she spiked a temperature. Well I am so thankful that she has no infections! My family assured me that everyone in our family spiked a fever when they got teeth.
3. Leading me to my next thing...since Emma has been sick she is the #1 member of my fan club! This mean lots of hugs and cuddles! Since she has morphed into a girl on the run/crawl lately, I am really soaking in all the cuddle time that I can!
4. DVR....this morning I was able to watch The Hills, Rachel Zoe, and Biggest Loser in about 1 1/2 hours! All my gossip and secret indulgences at once!
5. Not having a classroom...This year is my first without a classroom and although I miss my kids I was very thankful this morning to just be able to call the school and tell them I wouldn't be able to come in because Emma had to go to the doctor. Last year I would have had to go in at like 6am to make sure that my sub plans were in and everything was set and ready. Today I made the call and went back to my DVR!
I hope you all are having a good night...if you are in MA, I hope you bundle up tonight...tomorrow is going to be WICKED cold!!! Oh and head on over to Tall Mom on the Run for an AWESOME giveaway!!!
Monday, October 12, 2009
Our two 5 year-old nieces (pictured left....aren't they so cute?!) have a tradition they do after they say their prayers at night. They say 5 things they are thankful for. I am going to try to do this every night or so. I figure if I set my sights on the good things in my life then the stressful stuff will not take over! So here are my 5 things:
1. I'm so thankful for my hubby this morning who woke up with Emma at 4am so that I could get a few more hours sleep. She has had a bad stuffy nose this weekend because she is getting her two front top teeth.
2. I'm thankful that I was able to see many old college teammates this weekend including my old roomie who has been living in India for 2 years!
3. I just love any swag and I got swag from just going to the game on Saturday. I didn't play due to really (like trip to the ER) hurting my back this August and not wanting to repeat that! But one of my coaches was so great to have saved me a goodie bag! We got a college mug and a college shirt that says "Welcome to scenic Wenham" with a picture of the student center! Hilarious if you saw our very small school!
4. This picture leads me also to my fourth thing I am thankful for...I fit into a pair of prepregnancy jeans today!! Yippee!!!!! Please ignore the pile of sneakers behind me...this is supposed to be a happy post! :-)
5. I am so thankful today for the family that I have been blessed with! I have an awesome husband and amazing little girl. Plus I get to have an amazing Mom and Dad and sister who support me through everything....not to mention 2 nieces and brother-in-laws!
I hope you are thankful today! I do have a downer with running but I am going to save that for tomorrow...today I am focusing on thankfulness!
Sunday, October 11, 2009
How can I do this and still have time for me to get in all my running???
I tried to use my jogging stroller and the bolt that keeps the front wheel on is MIA! I only have a few more weeks around here before it will be too cold to run with her in it outside. I have been having to wait until Emma goes to bed to get in a run and by then I am beat. I tried waking up at 4 before she got up but I always seem to find things around the house that need to be done first! This week I am determined to get my runs in! I ran yesterday morning. It was great Fall weather but my legs felt like lead! I could have sworn I wore my lead shoes! I'm sure it is a result of being tired and not running much during the week. I WILL do better this week!
Wednesday, September 30, 2009
So I have found two more 1/2 marathons to try. One is in October and the other November. The one in October is near and dear to me because it is in my hometown. I mean my parents could practically step out their front door and watch me run by. The only downfall with this one is that it is SO HILLY!!! I'm not a whiner but New England is just hilly! I would love to do this one! My family is the best group of cheerleaders! I have been involved in sports since I could put one foot in front of the other which means my parents and sister have attended everything from gymnastic meets to weekend long softball tournaments. My biggest sport was softball and the experiences I have had through it with my family will be ones that I always treasure! When I ran Boston they even put a huge sign on the front lawn that said "Way to Go Nancy!" On a funny note, my Mom is the best example of unconditional support. She would
always be the loudest cheerer no matter the sport even when she really didn't know anything about the sport. She knew a lot about softball since my sister and I played and my Dad coached but she didn't know too much about soccer. That didn't get her down though...I can remember in high school laughing to myself on the field as I heard my Mom yell out, "Run!" because that was what she knew! Now I live way too far for my liking away from my family (2 hours). It would mean so much to me to have my Mom yelling "Run!" at me during the race!! Plus the last half they came to they suffered through wicked cold weather just to surprise me at the finish and didn't see me run by!
Ok so enough procrastinating! My timer went off! I have to get the run in so I can relax and watch Glee!
Sunday, September 27, 2009
The race started at 7am...pretty early I thought and it was only about 45 degrees...cold but nice and crisp to run in! I wore my "run like a mother" shirt...can't seem to get my picture up so that will have to come later. I had a lot of friends running this race and some people too that I knew that I wanted to make sure I beat (people from my gym) so it was nice to see everyone. The start was great and we ran our first mile in about 8:15. We continued that pace for about 3/4 of the race. We even did pick-ups for a few miles just to get them done with. Then my body just pooped out!!! UGH! I was so close to doing it in under 2 hours!!! I lost it in the last 3 miles really. I finished in 2:03:38....so close yet not there! I had a nice surprise at the finish though with the hubs and Emma waiting for me! Two of my friends finished in well under 2 hours (way to go to them) Jill finished just before me, and another friend ran her first half and was psyched to finish!
I am happy to have ran it well considering I was so hopped up on cold medication at the start! It inconveniently wore off around mile 9! It is just that I am so close I can taste it! I keep playing the race over in my head wondering where I could have done more...Plus I can't help but wonder if I could find a flat half it would be different. There were about 4 major hills and a lot of little ones. I am convinced there isn't a flat town in New England!
So you all are some of the fastest people I know....I need your advice! You have seen my training...what can I do to be faster? I do 2 tempo runs, a easy run, and a long run. I should do speed work but maybe someone can explain to me what that is really. I need help!!! I have found another half in my hometown of Middletown and Newport, RI in October. What a better one to hit my goal than in front of my whole family! I love running there too...it makes me feel like I am home again! I am constantly homesick so I love to visit my fam and go running! Can't you see it now?! So yes any advice will be well taken!
Friday, September 25, 2009
A few years ago one of my best friends and I decided we were going to run the Boston Marathon. She had never run more than 1 mile while I had already been running for about 10 years or so. She was in shape but running was new to her. We had a blast training for the marathon. There were three of us training and we really had fun with it considering we trained through a very cold New England winter. The only struggle I began to feel as the long runs got longer was that my pace was significantly faster than my partners. I would run ahead and then wait until they caught up. Doing this at 20 miles became difficult but we were all having fun!
Fast forward to the day before the marathon. We had a long talk about pace and decided that we would start together but we would use walkie talkies to help us talk if we got separated. Even though there was a Nor'easter that day we had high hopes for the race. We stayed together for 9 miles during which my partner stopped 3 times. Knowing that I wouldn't make it if I kept stopping with her I decided to go ahead. Plus I just couldn't resister trying to beat some of the other runners. After about 13 miles I lost touch with my two partners and was on my own. I had a great time running and felt so accomplished at the end even though my time was slow. I waited at the finish line for 45 minutes waiting for the other two to finish. When they crossed we hugged and then my "best" friend turned around and has never spoken to me again.
In the months that followed, I heard it was because I had left her that she was mad at me. It was so silly since we had been friends for so long. However, she made it so uncomfortable I had to change gyms and find all new running routes. The last time I ran the Wicked Half (the race I am running tomorrow) I was very much out of love with running. The whole loss of friendships just made me so sad and even more so I had lost my love of running which was even more devastating! Soon after I became pregnant and I was not able to run most of the time. This gave me a much needed break.
Now tonight, on the day before the same 1/2 marathon, I am finding that I am again in love with running! It is my solace. It is my stress relief. It really is my therapy...where I find me! I cannot tell you how gitty I am now that I am back in love with my old friend running! It is like finding myself all over again!
Are you in love with running?
Thursday, September 24, 2009
1. Run a sub 2 hour 1/2 marathon....Since I have come down with a cold that won't quit I'm not sure it will happen this weekend but I am determined to do it this year! I have another one planned this November. I'm still going to try to do it this weekend but it is good to know that I have another one to try for!
2. Enjoy life...within the 98 days my little nugget Emma will turn 1 year-old. This just blows me away! Everyone tells you that it goes by so fast but I guess I never knew just how fast it would go by. Now that I am back to work it is just flying! I want to make that within these next 98 days I make time for joy and family. This will take a lot of organization on my part but it is so worth it!
3. Lose the last of the baby weight and then some...I am down to 2 more pounds to get to prebaby weight but I am shooting for 10lbs total. I read in Runner's World that you gain about 5 seconds for each pound you use. This could get me to reach my first goal.
Ok friends with just 98 days left....What are your goals left for 2009?
Wednesday, September 23, 2009
Sunday, September 20, 2009
Saturday, September 19, 2009
Thursday, September 17, 2009
You know I LOVE a good competition! I mean I look for it everywhere I go! It could be seen as some as an illness but it gets me where I need to go! I have a pair of Lucky jeans that were a little snug before I got pregnant but are expensive and would look good if I fit them.
So there you go...8 weeks to fit into my skinny Lucky jeans! How are your skinny jeans fitting lately?
Oh yeah and that picture is not me....not far from it most days though!
Tuesday, September 15, 2009
Continuing on a weigh loss note, I want to give a HUGE shout out to my very good friend Carrie. She ROCKS folks not only as a friend but as a devoted weight loser! Yesterday at lunch everyone was drilling her about her secrets to weight loss and what not. Someone asked her how much she had lost and I almost fell off my seat. She has lost 90lbs. Yes Carrie I am putting it out there because that is GREAT!!! She said it as if it wasn't a big deal but I think it is a HUGE deal and something she should be very proud of! Oh and in addition to that, she has completed 2 sprint triathlons and is starting to train for a 1/2 marathon. Carrie you are my motivation! Keep up the awesome work!!
OK off to watch Rudy! Thinking of waking up at 4am tomorrow so I can fit in my run....still having schedule issues in addition to a sick baby girl!
Sunday, September 13, 2009
Saturday, September 12, 2009
Thursday, September 10, 2009
So on to the run. If there was ever a more true description of a race course it was this one. The medal that we got says "16 wicked hills" and I think they miscounted because there had to have been more. We started counting down at the beginning and then lost count! The weather could not have been more beautiful and the scenery was awesome! The course followed the coast line of Gloucester and Rockport Massachusetts and with a temp of about 65 at the coast it was perfect running weather!
We started off with a 10 minute mile pace. We (my friend Jill and I) kept reminding ourselves that this was just a training run and we were not racing. (probably because we were both so nervous). I get so nervous before a race just looking at the people that are there. I start to look at all the skinny, runner-body people and psych myself out. So today I watched the ground most of the time before the race! It worked...kind-of. I'm always fine once I get started. So most of the race was fun. We talked to lots of people and met some really interesting people. It amazed me how many people ran multiple marathons back to back. One girl had even run two in one weekend!! There were several people too that wanted to run a marathon in every state. Very cool stuff! I even learned that there was a marathon in Newport, RI my hometown! Put that on the list for marathons to run.
I saw my hubby and Emma at around mile 10 where there was the most ENORMOUS hill!! It was a good motivator! I had some knee pain just after that. I think it happened when I stopped to say hi and then ran fast to catch up with Jill. It was so tight from my hip and then down and around my knee. That lasted about 2 miles until I think my leg just went numb! Needless to say the end of the race was not as fun and friendly as the beginning. I slowed a bit because of my knee and then my stomach started to kick in for about the last mile. I really need to get a handle on that because I had more energy left but my stomach was turning. The grand finale was a STEEP, twisting hill to the finish. I mean really people!!!!
Finish time 2 hours 45 minutes. Slower than I wanted but I finished!! I just kept thinking that this time last year I looked like this:
and there was no running going on!! I also think I had hidden motives. I was so tired when I got home and that night that I didn't have any trouble sleeping. This is rare for me before the first day of teaching. I am usually up all night. Add to that that it was Emma's first day at day care and I was a sobbing mess, I think I slept well. I would totally recommend this race to someone prepping for a fall marathon, especially if it is hilly. I will say some of them were worse than Heartbreak Hill!
So sorry for the delay but I have been coming to grips with Emma being in daycare and me being back to work. Not fun but a reality for me. Next stop half marathon!! Here are a few pictures from the race beforehand....I felt like a monster next to my nice, petite friend Jill!
me trying to not have a double chin!!
Sunday, September 6, 2009
along scenic coastal Gloucester and Rockport. Ocean
views and old New England villages with waterfront
sections spread throughout the course. (Oh, and did
we mention the sixteen major hills?) Mile markers and
times, refreshment stations, post-race festivities,
unique awards, raffle, and much more!
Seriously is there a flat course ANYWHERE on the North Shore!?!!! I will give you the play by play tomorrow including pictures! Wish me luck!
Tuesday, September 1, 2009
Well my rocking running buddy Jill gave me the heads up on wearing compression shorts under a running skirt. I tried it today on my run and I LOVE it!!! Once I got by the fact that my legs were showing I realized that I was much cooler! They show a little bit under the skirt but it is worth it. My husband actually asked me if I had to wrap my leg for some reason when I got home! Hee hee! Any other suggestions for girls with tree trunk legs?
On another note I have been rocking it with dinners this week so far...yeah I know it's only Tuesday but I am just saying! A little too much snaking though and I need to work on that this week.
My running question for you all is about fueling during a run. On Sunday I had a great run but my stomach was a mess for about 2 hours later because I didn't eat or drink during the run. My good friend Michelle gave me some pointers. What do you all use during your long runs and how often? I know I need to do something but not sure what. When I ran Boston I used sport jelly beans but I can't stand the sight of them now!
Still loving running in this beautiful weather every morning!!! Not looking forward to next week's back to school for many reasons but one being a possible end to morning runs.
Monday, August 31, 2009
My clean eating has been going ok but I feel like I am always thinking about food! I am sure that once I get used to it all I will be able to think about other things. This is my last week before going back to school and I am not too thrilled! Emma and I will be soaking up all that we can of each other this week! She has a stuffy nose so she is a bit clingy anyways. I do love this weather though!!!