Friday, February 7, 2014

A Coffee Date with my Mom

Last week I began thinking I would write a post like ones I have seen the past few weeks.  Thinking about sitting down with all of you with a nice cup of coffee...the thought just makes me relax!  Sitting...being able to complete a sentence while sipping something hot and yummy...ahhhh!  However life takes turns that we don't expect and some of those turns make us realize how short life really is.  This past week had one of those turns and because of that this week's coffee is going to be with my Mom!  Last Friday, I was getting the kids ready to meet my husband out for dinner with friends when my sister called saying our mom was being taken to the hospital in the ambulance.  The details pour out into my ear as I continued to ready the girls until one word made me stop in my tracks...cardiac.  My plans changed and as soon as my husband got home I took off for the hospital 45 min away.  Thoughts pour through my head during that drive....ones that I should say to my mom...ones I would say to her if we could sit and have coffee.

If I could sit and have coffee with my mom I would tell her that first and foremost I love her.  I am so thankful to have her as a mom!

I would tell her that she is my hero....and that I pray that I have even half the strength she has had her whole life.  She has taken care of a husband who has struggled with Crohn's for their whole marriage and has never complained a day.  She has gracefully faced challenges without even thinking twice.  Although I'm sure there have been days when she broke down she never let us see her scared or angry.

I would tell her that her heart makes everyone around her feel loved.  She takes notice of those around her and finds ways to love them...taking them meals...sending them notes...calling them...taking them in to live with her....her heart is big and compassionate!  I always get a big smile on my face every time I get the mail and see her handwriting!!

I would tell her that because of her (and my dad too) I felt like I could do just about anything...like I could leap off a mountain and they would be there to catch me!  She always says that Aubrey is just like me...pushing the limits...wanting to do it all.  I hope that I can be the mom to Aubrey that she was to me showing me that I was limitless!

I would tell her that losing her would leave a hole in my life...my heart aches just thinking about it.  On that drive to the hospital I was upset I didn't call that morning (I always call every morning on the way to school)...upset that I wouldn't be able to talk to my mom again...my friend.

My Mom is doing well and the cardiac scare was just that...a scare, but I promise it was one that made me remember that the time I have with my mom...with anyone I love...is short and shouldn't be taken for granted. 

10 comments:

  1. Life is definitely too short. I'm glad your mom is ok Nancy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't imagine what that felt like, but I'm happy that everything turned out ok. Touching post Nancy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this, things like that really remind us how fragile we are and how fast life flies by doesn't it. Glad your Mom is okay and it was just a scare.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have tried really hard to make sure those close to me know exactly how I feel. I remember one day as a kid I asked my mom why it was so important that she always hug and kiss me good bye even when we were fighting and she said because we don't know what the day will bring.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So glad your mom is doing better. What a scare! My dad had an episode like that a few years back.....while I was on the phone with him. So scary...it's amazing as adults how much we still need our our moms & dads. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad to hear your mom is doing better, lots of prayers <3

    ReplyDelete
  7. So true and something I think we often forget. Life is too short :(

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so glad that your mom is doing OK - I'm sure that was a big scare for you. Nice to be so close to your mom (and dad).

    ReplyDelete
  9. This brought tears to my eyes Nancy and I'm pretty sure I held my breath until I read she is ok. You have to make the most of every single minute!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Glad to hear that your Mom is doing better. Thinking of you and your family <3

    ReplyDelete