Friday, July 26, 2013

Fitness Friday...MILF?

I got you on that title didn't I!?  Are you a Mother Instilling Lifelong Fitness?  Do you know one?

This summer has me hauling the chickies to the gym with me so that I can get a few days
 a week at the gym and some time learning kettlebell workouts that are seriously kicking my butt!!  While I would love to sneak away while they are still asleep, there has been something brewing each time that I bring them that became very clear the other day.  Each time when I pick up the girls from the Kids Room, Em asks me what I did while she was in there.  She scopes out the equipment as we walk out through the gym and asks what each one does.  It usually ends with her saying that one day she's going to use them too and I usually say I think it would be fun to work out with her!

Fast forward to this week and the day we brought one of her friends with us.  We did our usual routine talking about my workout that day as we walked out of the gym.  We got to the car and her friend said, "When I grow up I'm not going to workout! It's way too much work!" I decided to see where the conversation went before I jumped in to intervene.  Em piped in rather quickly with, "When I grow up I'm going to workout EVERY DAY! It's so much fun and it makes your body healthy and strong!" That's my girl!!!!  We finished the ride home talking about fun things that they can do each day to make themselves healthy and strong...riding bikes, playing outside, jumping in a trampoline...it was great!

Just when I want to quit...throw in the towel...stop working so hard....I remember who is watching!  Em loves to talk about exercising...asking me what I am doing and why I'm doing it.  I will keep pushing and when I want to quit I'll remember who's watching!!
How do you inspire lifelong fitness?

15 comments:

  1. YAY Em! That is awesome. We were at a park over the weekend that had a fitness circuit. Hubs and I started to do the exercises and the kids followed along. Yesterday, out of the blue, my daughter gets down on the ground and says "I'm doing pushups!" Always watching and learning!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well said!

    I've overheard my kids' conversations with friends or they tell me about them and quickly realize they're watching and taking note.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Props to you for instilling a love for fitness in your children!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good for you. Children always pick up on our actions more than our words. You're setting a great example.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love seeing stories about people getting their kids in on the fitness action! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. So awesome!! I hope that my boys have a life long love of fitness after growing up watching me and sometimes helping me do fit things!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this! It's a great reminder that our kids are always watching us and will imitate what we do (good or bad!). Even though my kids are adults now, I know that they see my lifestyle and it motivates them (or guilts them :-) ).

    ReplyDelete
  8. I would love to think that I was a MILF! My daughter is always telling people that I can help them get stronger & healthier and that my muscles are almost bigger than her dad's :)

    T.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love it! I hope I am too. My 3 year old likes to play "gym" and packs her bag and "workouts" in her playroom!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love it! so awesome. My kids do workouts with me sometimes, or they make up their own and my daughter likes to talk about when she will be big enough to run long runs with me. I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You got me on the MILF :P
    I totally have to agree though. If you want your kids to be fit and healthy then you need to be the leading example.
    My kids love playing with my exercise equipment. They love the agility ladder, and I don't blame them.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love your daughter's response! Perfect! You are such a great example of healthy living for your daughters:)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love Em's response!! That's so great and good for you mama!! And I love that other definition of MILF :-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I PRACTICE I DONT PREACH!!!

    xo

    ReplyDelete