Wednesday, January 21, 2015

Workout Wednesday

Since I'm a horrible blogger and I missed not only my very favorite Motivation Monday but also Training Tuesday, I had to throw in some alliteration to start this week of on a proper foot!  Last week was a blur of flu symptoms sprinkled all over the Fancy Nancy house...starting with our 6 year-old...to me...to my husband...to our youngest!  Needless to say I resisted the urge to try and "sweat it out" and really just allowed my body to rest.  It made me feel old...that coupled with an actual birthday...really put the nail in the coffin!  I woke up on Monday determined to not only age gracefully but also get my sweat on!!  This is bringing me to my topic for this week. 

Many of my friends have been asking me as they face down their resolutions (I told them to word them as I will instead of I want to...commit!), how I find time to work out with two littles and a full time job outside the house.  For me it is a scheduled event...like a meeting at work.  I put in on the schedule and barring any illness it gets done!  After giving them the simple reply of "I wake up at 4am" and receiving the usual eye rolls and no ways, I decided to see how non-morning people could get creative and still get fit!  Here are just a few suggestions I have found can work if you are pinched for time...and daycare!

Lunch runs...Now yes this does require a little planning the night before and can vary depending on how much time you have for lunch.  I have 25 minutes and have been squeezing in a 5k in that time.  I wear my base layer under my work clothes so I'm like Superman changing!  When I get back to my classroom, it's Showerpill to the rescue and then I'm back teaching.  It has really be fun doing these runs and they get me out in the sunshine which is clutch in the winter!
Workout at home (before or after the action at home)...I do have a treadmill at home but even if you don't there are many, many resources you can tap into for workouts at home.  Pinterest is loaded with workouts for all ability types.  You could also purchase many, many DVDs that have workouts just waiting to kick your butt!  Also GaiamTV has awesome workouts ready for you to do!  Just take the quiz to find your profile and they will just email the workouts right to you so that you can complete the 21-Day Challenge!  How easy is that?

Involve the kids...I am always looking for ways, especially now that it is winter and freezing, to build in activity during the day so that the girls are moving those little bodies.  We hike, dance around the house, and play games that get us moving.  This past weekend we headed down to see my family and we joined up at the pool.  The girls played with their cousins and I snuck in some laps...which by the way are far harder than anyone makes them look!  Yikes!  I reached the wall and thought...My goodness now I have to go back? 
The point is to get them involved in exercise and it becomes a win win for everyone! 

What advice would you give someone that is looking to squeeze fitness into their busy schedule?

5 comments:

  1. I would say get up early and get it done. It doesn't have to be a lot, it all adds up and if you do it first thing in the morning, it's done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I so agree with Christy - getting up early and getting it done is the one sure way of knowing you'll have enough time. I find it's just too easy for the day to get hijacked by other commitments/family needs/etc. as the day goes on.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm just not a morning person. So getting up early isn't likely going to happen. I used to do the Runch all the time. I guess in a way I still do, but I have the flexibility to "save" my lunch break for the end of my day. And there is a treadmill at work. So at 4pm you will find me on the treadmill most days. Then I'm back at my desk to wrap up a few last things and head home. I also used to run outside at lunch a lot, so even if you don't have a treadmill at work you could still do that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not a morning person but for years I got up at 4:30 every day to get my workout in. Now I am self-employed so my schedule varies every day but I still get up at 5:00 to make sure I have time to workout. Even though the getting up is hard, it is so worth it. And it doesn't take away from our family time in the evenings.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I tried the early morning. Not for me. But I make it work with the kids. When I can. I run as much as I can before izzy gets home.... If I need more time, I bring her with me or get Tucker to watch her. Or I just bike and do videos/strength! Flexibility is key! Plus Iove it when the kids join me. Makes it even more enjoyable!

    ReplyDelete