This question has been brewing in my mind ever since I was told that runners are stubborn. It was not said in a bad way at all just a matter of fact way. I wanted to think honestly about whether or not I thought it was true. So I began like any good teacher would and I looked up the definition.
1.unreasonably obstinate; obstinately unmoving: a stubborn child.
2.fixed or set in purpose or opinion; resolute: a stubborn opponent of foreign aid.
3.obstinately maintained, as a course of action: a stubborn resistance.
4.difficult to manage or suppress: a stubborn horse; a stubborn pain.
5.hard, tough, or stiff, as stone or wood; difficult to shape or work.
I would like to go with the nicer of choices and say #2 could apply but I still wasn't convinced so I looked at my behavior.....If you answer yes to 2 or more of these statements, you MAY be a stubborn runner:
- You go out for your long run at the same time every week and God help the person who throws that off kilter
- A trainer suggests that you cut down your mileage to fit in more cross training and stretching and you think to yourself, "Ummm not a chance buddy" while smiling and saying, "Sure I'll look at that tonight!"
- You have perfected your pre race meal and get sweats if something is missing
- A friend/spouse wants to go for an easy 3 when you have speed work on your training schedule so you sneak it in before they get there so you don't miss what you are supposed to be doing
- You go to a running shoe store for another pair of the sneakers you have been wearing religiously for the past 8 years
- This said running store suggests a different pair of sneakers could work better for you. You take them home knowing full well that you are going to be returning.
- A nutritionists suggests a different diet of foods. You take the suggestion and begin to compare it with every other training diet you own as well as Runner's World and Racing Weight.
- You go to the doctor with (XYZ) pain and their prescription is for rest. You say ok but know that a big race is coming so you think, "Can't you just tape it up and I'll rest after the race?"
- You wake up feeling under the weather and think, "I'll just sweat it out...can't miss my run!"
To our credit, as runners, we are constantly striving to find what works for us....what will make us faster, what will keep out GI issues at bay, what will bring us success. I for one am recognizing my stubborn side and embracing it! And every now and then get a good laugh at it!! Enjoy these cartoons!