Monday, January 23, 2012

Monday Motivation-One Step at a Time

One unique aspect to goal setting is planning out the small steps that lead up to reaching your overall goal.  Runners do it all the time.  You want to run a half marathon, marathon, or any other distance. You plan out your training over a period of time and over that time you reach your goal by race day.  I have always tackled running this way but today was really the first time it clicked for me with weight loss.  The number I want to lose is larger than can be done in one week (barring a major flu or loss of limb) so I need to break it down into chunks leading up to the day when I step on that scale and do the happy dance!  Let me say as an aside that I do feel that if I never lost another pound I would be healthy, however I know that I feel more comfortable at a lower weight in addition to feeling faster.  I am not giving up on my goal!!
This week, and I put it here so I can think of you all shaking a finger at me as I think about eating dessert, my small step is to lose 3lbs.....there I said it....it's out there and I can 't take it back!  Oh boy! 
What small step are you going to take today to get you to a bigger goal?  What is your big goal?  Share away!  There is power in numbers!!!

Oh and if you need a kick in the don't give up department....I could be bias but just imagine how this would feel:
Pats are going to the Superbowl!!!

12 comments:

  1. I know what you mean with regards to setting the small goals for yourself w/ running (I'm just getting started with my half marathon training plan) AND with weight loss. Yes I could be this weight and be fine and healthy but like you, I also feel better about myself/am faster if I weigh less!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck on your 3 lbs. You can do it! I plan to hit the gym hard this week and give it everything I have since I missed out last week due to snow.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good for you for putting it out there! Nancy you are very motivated so I have no doubt you'll hit your goal!

    Psyched the Pats are going back to the Super Bowl!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just read a very good piece somewhere about effective goal setting. It includes small, intermediate and long range goals. Small, incremental milestones (but achievable) on a path to longer term bigger goals. it is like marathon training. As for wight loss, I know one piece of advice is to never weight yourself or only once a week, but I never do that. I need the feedback and the short term horizon to stay on the path. And good luck with yours.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Totally do-able!! Chunk it up - just like running! I've officially giving up pop. Not trying to lose weight, just want to lose that crutch - and put those calories to work in another way!

    ReplyDelete
  6. well I've just decided that I am going to run a marathon!!!!!!! so my big goal is to finish. the small step I'm taking is signing up and creating a training plan :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think that it is ALL small steps! I usually run long runs one mile (or step) at a time, otherwise it is daunting! This week I am just trying to get 4 days of running in. A week at a time!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I thought you'd be pumped for your Pats!! This superbowl makes the east coast very happy, huh?!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great motivation! I am working on the smaller steps thing too - especially with strength training. Focus on the little steps one at a time! I know you can do it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I do a lot of my runs a tenth of a mile at a time. I may start slow, but the next thing you know, I've finished 9 miles. Baby steps. I'm trying to build my weekly mileage to 35-40 miles a week. I'm slowly inching every run longer. Eventually I'll get there.

    ReplyDelete
  11. So true, that's why running helps me in so many ways! While training for my first marathon I learned to take it one day at a time in order to reach the big goal.

    Oh my Ravens....

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am going to pick up a NASM personal training book to take one step closer to getting certified :)

    ReplyDelete