Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Let's Talk Training

Remember when I wrote last week about getting started full force and taking last week by storm?  Yeah me too but I'm sorry to say that didn't happen!  Apparently my body was really liking being in rest mode!  I didn't sit around and just eat GU all day long.  I did go to the gym on Tuesday and Thursday mornings and did weights and a little kettlebell.  I must admit that I am very nervous to make friends with the kettlebells again for fear that I would hurt myself again!  Those days I also got in some treadmill miles.  I had to laugh because the following days I woke up...shall we say...VERY sore!  I loved it!  I rounded out the week with a great run on Saturday.  One thing that has amazed me is that taking this time off was great to heal my back but it also has given my legs a little time to rest and remember how to turn over!  I'm encouraged by the paces I'm finally able to hit.  I wouldn't say I'm ready to hang with Kara Goucher, but I'm not at as much of a deficit as I thought I would have been not moving for 3 weeks!  This week is already shaping up to be much more full of movement!  I'm starting again with day 1 of my training plan as I set my sights on my next half mary...perhaps a little one on a famous hill with my very favorite magazine!!!
Have you ever taken time off and found you came back stronger?

7 comments:

  1. YES!!!!!
    I took 6 months off from EVERYTHING and just came back plain ole HEALED.

    ReplyDelete
  2. rest is SO important... not just for your body but for your mind, soul, emotions, everything!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. rest makes SUCH a huge difference for me. i get to the point where it's not even worth working out if i've done it too many days in a row without a rest day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My vacation from running will be soon. Rest is hard but you see that it DOES pay off. Glad you're back in the swing! You and I have a final run before London! Yes...yes.....YES!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, I've taken long rest periods..I think my last one was almost 2 weeks. It did my body and mind good :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. The body needs rest. I have learned to just go with it. I'm going on two days of forced rest. And I know I'll come back stronger!

    ReplyDelete