Tuesday, November 18, 2014

Tiny House with Tweens

We live in a time where we are always connected...phones, computers, tablets, etc. yet sometimes it feels like we are always disconnected.  Perhaps it is just me getting older or seeing my children and nieces get older and more grown up by the day, but yesterday I found myself searching for a fun way to vacation for this summer(It started off as a search for a winter vacation but my sister hates snow).  Our nieces will be 11 (which blows my mind) and our girls will be 6 and almost 3...which means the chances for my sister and I to do crazy things and drag our children along for the ride are starting to dwindle....even though I really hope not!  This led me to my most exciting find of the day and I honestly have not been able to stop thinking about it since....a tiny house!! 
Not the actual house I found
A log cabin nestled in the woods of Stowe, VT that is not only completely off the grid (no electricity, no running water, etc), but is awesome!  The house is small but it sits on 2 acres of land including a pond, huge fire pit, and trails for walking.  Plus there is the most quaint porch on the front that overlooks the pond and trees that just screams come and sit and read here!!! 

Let me explain that I have been mildly obsessed with the show Tiny House Nation and have been unable to convince the hubs that we should live in one! 
I mean come on!  Two kids...and us...in less than 700 square feet...beds that fold up and well a house on wheels....what's not to love?!  I jest clearly but the whole idea of not having so much stuff...clutter...things taking up so much space is a calming concept to me!  Probably means I need to clean the house but it also means that when I got home yesterday and told the hubs about the fabulous tiny house I found, he said that it would be a great idea for me to do with my sister! 

The plans are still in the works but the idea to me is so exciting....Family is so important to us and giving our daughters that time to bond with their cousins...bond with nature...and have time to just be and do whatever...it just sounds pretty much perfect!  My head is not firmly in the clouds and I know that the challenge of vacationing 4 hours away from home with no electricity, fans, internet, TV, and bugs will pose a number of challenges but I think the benefits will far outweigh them! 
Cousins
How about you....Would you ever live/vacation in a tiny house?

4 comments:

  1. That sounds really nice! It is so freeing and relaxing to get away from all of the technology sometimes and it's summer, kids are meant to be outside running around and swimming. You'll have a great time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A friend of mine just bought one. They downsized from a full size three bedroom/two bathroom home. They have their tiny house that is in one spot and a bumper pull RV. Seems to work for them but I know I couldn't do it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it's a great idea! It's beautiful there. Then I'd like CO on the "to do" list:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my I have so been feeling the urge to downsize. All the stuff we have can be so overwhelming. It's like the more things you have the more responsibility you have. We built our dream home 8 years ago, so I think we will stay put and I'll do as you suggest...go clean house! :)

    ReplyDelete