Thursday, September 6, 2012

Three Things Thursday....Finding Food Habits

We all have our habits that become like a security blanket to us...some we may not even notice that we have until we start to look a little closer.  As part of the Fresh Start Fitness Challenge, I've been keeping a food journal of what I eat and when I eat it.  It has been really revealing to me about some of the habits that I have that need to finally be addressed. 
Here are my three revealing food habits:
1.  Afternoon Snack Monster....One habit that I have, and might I add have had for a LONG time, is that when I get home from work in the afternoon I need a snack.  One healthy snack is fine however I tend to turn into a snack monster who wants to basically sample every darn thing in the cabinets!  NOT GOOD!  I end up eating more than I should and not being hungry for dinner.  Not to mention the added calories that I am taking in!!!
2.  Sweet Nothings....After lunch...after dinner....during the afternoon snack buffet I crave sweets.  Now you would say a piece of fruit would suffice but oh no...I need those empty calories that only a piece of candy can provide!  I think part of my afternoon binge is trying to find that sweet snack that will fill that craving without totally derailing my calories for the day....yeah total fail since I end up eating 10 other foods when all I really want is chocolate!  From what I have hear and read about sugar, it is like a drug and the longer I get away from it the better I will be however this pregnancy is all about the sweet!
3.  I just ate what??...Mindless snacking is another habit for me that is no good.  Now that I am back at school and only able to eat what I have packed in my lunch box, it isn't as bad for a good portion of the day.  Again though once that snack monster hits, I tend to eat without even realizing how much or what I am eating.  Having to write it all down this week I am seeing just the volume of food that gets consumed at this time.  We are talking football lineman volume but more than I should be eating.  Not stopping what I'm doing (getting Em settled, playing with her, unpacking bags, reading mail) and paying attention to what I am eating is setting me up to consume way more than I need.

Now that I have identified my habits I need to come up with a plan for how to break them.  I am going to try to put out a snack for the afternoon that I can have when I get home.  After that the kitchen is closed until dinner....just like I do with my daughter.  I also should plan more things outside of the house so that after our snack we just go outside...i.e. away from the food! 
Any suggestions???  How have you been able to break your bad habits?  Am I the only Afternoon Snack Monster?

10 comments:

  1. I am an afternoon snacker on the days I work. If i have to stop and get gas I always get something not nutrtional to snack on. i seem to be better about snacking on days I don't work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I work in a restaurant and I am typically not able to eat from 4-10PM. I am allowed to keep a granola bar or piece of fruit on me, and they can't scold me for nibbling on that because seriously, if my blood sugar dips, I won't keep up with my tables and they will be unhappy. So I keep Luna Bars, Balance Bars, or even just a banana in my bag to not only tide myself over, but to keep from going nuts on the fried stuff the cooks put up for the kitchen and wait staff!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Afternoon snacker right here, too! It's my downfall. I like your plan of action!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am all about the afternoon snack... having a healthy option with me is the only way it doesnt happen. I feel bad if I bring something and then choose to buy something worse. Bad me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have a snack food habit too! I always need a snack at 10 am and after my first meeting at work at night which is usually around 4. It is like I see the clock and if I'm not even hungry I get hungry if I see those times. so lame.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am a snacker too! When you figure out how to break this habit please let me know......

    ReplyDelete
  7. Serious problem with wanting an afternoon snack. I'm not even hungry!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Since I want to make sure that I eat enough fruits and vegetables, I like to snack on those. Well, not as much as I like to snack on cookies, but you know what I mean!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have a problem with sugar cravings too. All day long. Let me know if stopping for a while works! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am not a big sugar craver, but I do really want a snack around 10 am. I get up around 5:30, but lunch isn't until 12, but I still end up eating from about 10 am to about 3 pm!! I try to carry good things in my lunch -- carrots and hummus, edamame, fruit...so that way I won't be so tempted to go astray!

    ReplyDelete