Thursday, June 19, 2014

Sun Safe Summer with Block Island Organics

One thing that is tops on my list is that I LOVE the beach...good thing I live on Cape Cod!  For most of my life I have spent my summer on the beach and I am happy to pass this tradition on to my little chickies since they seem to love the beach too! 
Aubs loves torturing me by NOT looking at the camera!
In my younger and slightly more foolish days I would scoff at the use of sunscreen!  This Portuguese skin never needed to be "protected" and it really only got in the way of me getting the darkest tan I could!  As I got older I decided to use it on my face...you know to prevent wrinkles and such.  Now that we are on the beach just about every day in the summer, I have come to two realizations....I need to be wiser about protecting my skin and I HATE being sunburned! 
Now I have always lathered up the ladies until they were just about coated white but I knew I needed to be better about my own skin.  I was so excited when Block Island Organics contacted me to try out their sunscreen....perfect fit in my eyes...they are a RI company (and I'm a RI girl) and I was in need of some good sunscreen! 

Here's a little info about Block Island Organics.... 
The Block Island Organics mission
Our mission is to give everyone access to safe, effective, and lovable non-toxic suncare products. We believe in living outside and enjoying the sun and not hiding from it. With a little sun knowledge and the right sunscreen you can live our mantra: “Play Smart, Play Safe.”

Despite advances in science and cosmetics, skin cancer rates continue to rise. We believe this is due in part to poor quality sunscreens, misleading marketing, and the failure to educate consumers on safe suncare practices. To rectify this, we pledge to be consistent, honest, and transparent in our marketing as we pursue our goals: educate consumers, optimize product safety, quality, and cost, and earn your trust.


http://www.blockislandorganics.com/default.aspx

They are open and honest about the ingredients that go into their sun care lines while also keeping an eye on the cost in order to keep it assessable to the every day person which is something that really resonates with me.  I know there is fancy sun care out there but the dent in my wallet is too severe.  

I was sent a bottle of the SPF 15 as well as several sample packs which I promptly passed out to everyone I knew!  I felt like the lotion covered really well.  It is nice and thick so you know exactly where it is going and you can feel the coverage unlike other products that are more watery.  I have also had trouble with sunscreen on my face burning since my skin is sensitive but I loved that the Block Island Organics product didn't burn at all!!  I have been using it each time that we have been beach bums and I am happy to say....no sunburns!! I'm looking forward to continuing to use it and perhaps grab some of their Baby Block for the girls!!

Block Island Organics products are only carried in 3 stores (CA, FL, and Block Island, RI) but you can order direct from their website which is really easy to navigate.  As an added bonus and because I love spreading the love to all of you, if you purchase anything from Block Island Organics this week(6/19-6/25) and use the code nancy you will receive 20% off your purchase!!!  Just in time to get stocked up for summer!!!

  

4 comments:

  1. Skin care is so important! I do not want to end up with skin cancer one day. Thanks for sharing such an important topic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sign cracks me up! Glad you found a sunscreen that works for you. With a history of melanoma in my family and how easily I burn, I should be better about putting on sunscreen every time I go out. I always use it if workout out or at the beach mid day, but rarely put any on if I'm going for a run in the morning. Probably not very smart.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am always on the look out for better sunscreen for my kiddos. this looks like a good one to try. We usually use Alba Organics. I definitely want to go Organic with the sunscreen and to avoid the spray kind especially after the recent FDA warnings! Your kiddos are so cute! Hope you have a fun summer!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I received Block Island to test too. I've only used a sample so far (it's raining today, willl summer ever get here to stay?)

    ReplyDelete