Tuesday, June 3, 2014

Take it Off Road

Last weekend I posted on Facebook a picture of a trail that I pass almost every Saturday on my long run.  I talked about one day answering the call and finally explore the 21 miles of trails just 1 mile from my home.  Well because I have such awesome friends....who love to put me to my word (thank you)...I had several people inviting me to join them!  This past weekend I met up with a co-worker (and soon to be ultra marathoner) Christy to FINALLY go off road!
Christy being much more prepared than I (I literally threw on a pair of old shoes and came game for exploring), came prepared with a map on her phone and some much needed bug spray since I was greeted by this sign!
We headed off down the trail and for the next hour and half we explored our way around acres of land chatting and discovering air fields and new paths at every turn!
Gorgeous right?
My thoughts on my first trail run....
  • LOVED it!!!!  The time flew by and I had so much fun just exploring and getting "lost" in my surroundings!
  • It amazed me how quiet it was...like the outside world faded away!
  • Go with someone who knows what they're doing.  Christy is a pro...her ultra is a trail ultra (craziness!) and was able to give me a lot of tips.
I am looking forward to incorporating more trail running into my runs....with partners of course (I still wouldn't want to venture in alone even though I'm sure I'd be fine!  I found this quote the other day and it made me giggle...
I have been talking about hitting these trails ever since we moved to Cape Cod....I'm not sure why I never did but boy am I thankful I had the opportunity to!  It was a blast!!!

14 comments:

  1. I tried to run a loop trail in a state park near me, but I kept taking wrong turns and coming out onto the road!! I need trail map reading instruction :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is a trail loop near me that I love to run! It's a nice change from the road.
    Karen @karenlovestorun

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's awesome! I haven't tried trail running yet. My friends run at Scorton Creek in Sandwich and love it!

    Susan (Nicole's friend)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Welcome to the club!! Once you've been bitten by the trail running bug road running is never the same :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that quote. so true! I love running trails, makes the time really fly by.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I need to find me a TRAIL EXPERT here who wants to bring me along!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. How fun! I'm doing my first trail half marathon in September- I'm a little nervous, but I think the extra challenge will push me to train harder!

    ReplyDelete
  8. wohoooo for trails!!! i really do love them, I just don't have any that I can get to without driving, so I don't get to go very often.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have been wanting to give trail running a try but just haven't done it yet. I see more and more runners out there doing it and I think I will have to try it really soon! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have just started getting interested in trails too! Maybe we can do a trail Ragnar at some point :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love finding new trails to run on! I'm reaallly slow when I'm on trails since I'm scared of twisting an ankle, but it is so relaxing and scenic! I would like to do a trail race eventually.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love trails!! I would run more trails, but I get lost quite easily. Trails rock!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. You are braver than I, that tick sign would've sent me back to the pavement.

    ReplyDelete
  14. LOVE trail running, it's not about pace, it's about joy! And nature is so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete