Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Why I run...

Happy National Running Day!!!
Yes running is so awesome that there is an entire day dedicated to it!!!  Maybe you're lacing up for the 1 millionth time or maybe today is the day your going to stop saying "someday" and get out there and start...start with a few steps...a few minutes...let running do it's thing with you...let it transform you!!!

I started running 14 years ago when the competition of college sports stopped but my need to compete didn't.  I always ran to stay in shape for my sports but always thought the act of just running to run was silly!  I in fact think I can be quoted as saying just how pointless just running was!  Well 14 years down the road and a mountain of miles later....I'm still "just" running!!  There are so many reasons I lace up before each run that I can't even write all of them!  As this day was approaching, I was trying to think of the biggest thing that running has taught me about myself...through all the years...life's ups and downs...3 pregnancies...injuries...hard miles and easy ones...there was one theme that remained.  One lesson shone through....I am strong!
Mentally...physically...emotionally...I am stronger than I think I am most days!  When I'm out there pushing through I'm reminded of this fact...I am strong!
Why do you run?  Why don't you?


10 comments:

  1. Yes. Yes. And yes! I am strong :)

    I run because it empowers me. It makes me feel like I can do anything!

    ReplyDelete
  2. YES!!! It makes me happy, strong, confident and I feel ALIVE!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy National Running Day! Good thing I'm running today so that I can properly celebrate this day.

    I run because I want to prove myself that I can actually do it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree- it makes me feel strong, too! And I love the burst of energy I get for my whole day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I run to stay strong and sane, plus I have a little competitive drive and am spurred on by the challenge of that. I've been running as an adult for over 25 years and plan to never stop. I want to be the one that breaks Harriet the 91 year old's world record!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I run for my sanity. I was never a runner before...but after 9 years of running, I'm so happy I started!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'll be running on my lunch break today - hopefully others will join in!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It is so hard to define one reason why I run, other than because I am a runner. :) I need the run

    ReplyDelete
  9. I definitely run for a very similar reason - it helps me realize just how strong I am! I also run for the mental clarity as well:)

    ReplyDelete