Wednesday, February 16, 2011

You Get What You Need

I fully plan to do a "wordless Wednesday" post later today once I get home....we had so much fun with Em on Valentine's Day! Today two things have happened so far that have just made me think of that song...."You can't always get what you want....but if you try sometimes you might find you get what you need!" Now I remember my college days piled into a very small bar belting out this song while a college band played on stage!!!.....anyway I digress!

The first thing was this morning at the gym. One of the women there were walking in behind me (there are only a few of us that open the gym) and asked me what marathon I ran (sticker on the car). I told her Boston and she shared with me that she ran it 3 years in a row with VERY small children! I shared with her that time right now is a rarity so I have been sticking to halfs. What really stuck with me was when we were going to our machines to begin she said to me, "Well whatever you do just keep running!" I go back and forth about the time running takes....back and forth with guilt for taking that much time for me....being selfish....this was what I needed to hear....thank you lady in the purple tank!

The second thing was here at work. Yesterday the custodian came by to congratulate me for being nominated for "Person of the Year". There is a big bulletin board with a write up and my pic on it! Well today I ventured down, our school is 1/4 mile long and my office is on the opposite side of the bulletin board, to see what it said. The student described me as smart and athletic. They went on to talk about my running and the amount of miles and races I have done. This and they said that I have achieved so much as such a young age (well thank you very much I will take that!). The biggest compliment they gave me though was they wrote, "Of all the teachers in our school I know I can go to her to talk about anything that is happening in my life and she will listen and care." I have been struggling lately with my decision to come work here this year. I have been missing my very needy refugee students. This statement was what I needed today to remind me that God's plan to have me here is perfect and I just need to trust!

I hope you get what you need today!!!

8 comments:

  1. That is such a great compliment!
    Don't ever feel guilty about doing something healthy and wonderful for yourself...really everybody benefits if it helps you be your best.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww...it's great that you're off to such a great start to the day. Hope it gets even better!

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW!! What a great post - thanks so much for sharing. Congrats on being nominated for "Person of the Year" - what a great compliment. You totally deserve it :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your fun blog. :) Loving the colors!!! I have three small ones and running even with training plans has only made my abilities as a mother soar even higher. :) Have a great day! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats on your nominations! And I loved your beach pics. I can't wait for warm beach days!

    ReplyDelete
  6. congrats on the person of the year. That would make my year and day!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. wow, that is so sweet. You must be so happy to read that!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those were two great compliments but I especially love the one from your student! Congrats!

    ReplyDelete