Friday, September 30, 2011

Fitness Friday-Goal Setting

Ok so this Sunday is my half marathon!  I love running races in the Fall and if it were just me myself and I, I would run one every weekend!  However I have others' lives to consider so I have this one!  This will be my 9th half mary and the second year I have run this one.  Last year....in case you weren't around....I had a sweet victory and broke the 2 hour mark.  Curious....you can read all about it here!  This year I am feeling the same nerves and doubt.  I know I need to go back to my post on Monday and tell doubt that it no longer can hold space in my head.  Truth be told, my shins have been cranky (probably due to the fact that I walk around in heels all day now) and my stomach has been a little bit of a mess.  These two things are making me nervous but I need to again just focus.  I usually go into a race with one goal in mind but this time I decided to have three....you know just in case!

Goal A:  finish....I know this will happen but it's like applying to the college that you are certain you will get into!
Goal B:  under 2 hours...I have run my past 2 half marys in under 2 hours so I am striving to keep the streak alive!  I am going in planing to keep my pace below a 9 minute mile.  If I'm feeling awesome, like I was when I ran New Bedford, then I will strive for.....
Goal C: under 1:50.....This would have me seriously beside myself!  In New Bedford I cam close with a 1:52...that is including two MAJOR hills.  I maintained an 8:15 ish pace for most of the race.  I know I have it in me!

Well there you go!  Any races this weekend....long runs that are your personal longest coming up...let me know so I can cheer you on!!

18 comments:

  1. Good luck I am running a half in Portland, ME on Sunday so I will be thinking of you. I am hoping to finish under 1:55 so I can PR but not sure if I will achieve it since I have been sick all week :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you can do 1:52, you do have 1:50 in you. Good luck this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Cranberry Harvest Half Marathon just screams fall doesn't it? Have a great race wheter you get goal A, B or C!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great goals and all the best for your race,my Half is at the end of October and I want under 2 hours :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow that looks like a great race and great goals! You can totally beat 1:50!! You are fast; I ran the New Bedford half and I think my time was 2:09! Those hills (the first one especially) really killed me. Oh and the last one, right at the end. I almost forgot about that one! Yuck.

    I just signed up for my first marathon, which is in December. I am pretty darn nervous. I have run several half marathons, but the training for them just doesn't seem quite as daunting. I am scared. haha. This weekend, I have a long run of 10 miles. (next WE: 15 mi, which will be the longest I've ever run!!! eeeeek)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good luck - you can do it! Wishing you luck on all 3 of your goals! And - I love fall racing as well. I wish I could do something every weekend as well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great goals! I just broke the 1:50 barrier this summer and what got me through it was a repeating mantra in my head:

    "It's supposed to hurt when you push"

    I wish you a great race!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good luck!! I have a 11 mile run planned this weekend. It will be my longest I have ran so far!! My 1st half in Oct 30th!! Nerves......

    ReplyDelete
  9. GOOD LUCK!!!!! You've got this mama!!! Lately I've been rocking my workouts to Eminem/Bruno Mars' Lighters. Otherwise...my music funk is at an all-time high since I'm not running....

    Can't wait to hear how it goes! Enjoy the fall weather!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good luck!!! I hope you have a great race. Run fast and have fUN! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. great goals! Breaking 1:50 is on my list- if you do it, please share your secret!
    Good luck, you WILL rock it

    ReplyDelete
  12. Good luck with your half! I will be looking forward to reading your recap.

    I really like the idea of having different goals, that way you know you will meet at least one of them and can be excited to meet more than one.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Good luck my friend! I have faith that you will have a great race.

    ReplyDelete
  14. That looks like so much fun. Have a great time.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Good luck! Found your site for the first time today and I think it's great! So now I'm following it. Hope you'll return the favor.

    ReplyDelete
  16. No races but I have my last [not so long] long run tomorrow before Chicago next weekend!! Excited and nervous. I keep dreaming that my knees hurt but when I wake up they're fine. Very weird.

    I'm in awe of your sub 2 hour marys!! One of my goals for next year is a 2 hour or less. I need to take off 7 minutes. Good luck this weekend. Can't wait to hear all about the race!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Go tear up that asphalt! Crush this half! I'll be thinking of you as you GO FOR IT!!!!

    ReplyDelete