Thursday, September 8, 2011

Three Things Thursday

Yesterday was my second time with the running group and as cheesy as it sounds I was smiling from ear to ear!  I love the challenge of speed work and it is really rewarding to already be feeling stronger!  I have learned many things in just 2 sessions so here are three from yesterday.

1.  Never judge a book or runner by their cover!  The man who runs the group is in his early 70s and is the classic very thin older runner.  The difference is this guy can haul!!  It was my goal yesterday to stay with him on the pick-ups and boy was it a challenge!  To see him walking around you would never know it!!

2.  Wearing your Boston Marathon jacket is like flashing your street cred!  It was rainy yesterday and so I wore my Boston Marathon jacket.  Seriously it is the only running rain coat I have but it made a difference....not certain if it was due to the jacket or just that it was my second week.  I had a lot more conversations about training and what races I was doing.  Also got invited to long run meetings and such too!  

3.  When running on a rainy track, stay ahead of the pack!  Like I said in #1, I tried to stay with the leader the whole time but a few times I got stuck behind a very tall man (like wicked tall...even if you aren't a shorty like me) and got a muddy facial!  I quickly learned to stay ahead or I was going to be a muddy mess!

I'm so thankful my hubby has agreed to let me do this group.  I know it is extra work for him but it really is a time I look forward to!  Thanks babe!!!  Hope you all are having a great day....I seriously needed an ark to get to school today!

8 comments:

  1. I love running with a group. In some ways, it's a similar vibe to a race. You're just surrounded by support.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope to get to join a running group someday when my kids are a little bigger. I think it would really help me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would SO SO SO Love a running group. I am so happy you get to do this. Can't wait to have my own Boston street cred. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love running with a group. Doing speedwork with others is even better--I can always hit splits I would NOT hit on my own! Glad you enjoyed.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i've said before and i'll say it again, a running group will be the best thing you ever did as a runner. it's helped me get much faster and smarter about running. yay for speed work!

    ReplyDelete
  6. i miss running with a group! it's an automatic bond as well as a motivator - makes you want to show up & run hard! glad you are enjoying it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. yea, that is so good! So glad you are doing this.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You did it!?? You joined the group! Good for you! And it seems like it is going well. I knew you would be fine!

    PS I ran the New Bedford Half a couple of years ago. It was a great race!

    ReplyDelete