Monday, September 19, 2011

"You can't always get what you want..."

".....but if you try sometimes you might find....you get what you need!" 

Some days this song plays in my head.  I remember being in an over-crowded bar in college listening to a band from my college playing this song.  The same band used to play every Homecoming weekend and alum and current students would pack in to hear them.  They were pretty good but it was really more of being all there together as a tradition.  Well from time to time this song plays in my head at different moments.

This weekend it was during my long run.  What I wanted was to be able to meet up with Jill and run her 17 miler with her but instead I was by myself running my own 14 miler.  As the miles ticked along I began to realize it was what I needed that early morning.  It was a confidence booster and a mind clearer of a run.  Fall has decended on New England and therefore the temperature and humidity has gone down leaving a cool crisp morning to remind me that I can run distance.  I struggle to cover distances in the summer.  I get it done but the heat and humidity slows my pace and leaves me feeling sluggish and slow.  This weekend I felt quick and ready for my half in two weeks.  I was really doubting being about to run a sub 2 hour half this time around and while I am still not so certain, this long run was a confidence boost.  I ran 14 right on pace!!!  Just what I needed. 

Things have been crazy at home....the start of the school year and Emma's current unpredictable behavior leaves me feeling like I am not good at anything (silly I know) but this run reminded me that that competant girl is not so far away! 

Did you get what you wanted....or what you needed this weekend?  Or maybe even both!!!

I'm leaving you with a pic from Saturday's rare date night.  I was channeling my inner Rachel Zoe with this fur vest!!!  My brother-in-law said it looked like a dead dog but I thought it was fun!!



9 comments:

  1. I think that the beginning of school always leaves you a bit crazy. You work too Nancy so give yourself some time to get in the groove! I had a great 8 mile fall run the other day that just felt perfect. Nothing like New England fall air....have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The first few weeks of school always drain my energy and make me want to do nothing. Awesome job on a great run! You should be proud!
    And YAYY for a date night. I love your hair!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahh, I love how we end up getting just what we needed...even if it doesn't seem good at the time. First few weeks of school are SO hard!! A whirlwind!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can totally relate to your post. I struggle with any run really in the summer but now that its cooling off a bit and the humidity is going away it just seems easier. I never thought I would be able to run a half and since my long run has been doing okay, and the weather is being nice I think it might just be okay!! I hope you do great on yours and I bet you totally can do a sub 2!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I struggle with my long runs in the summer too! I am so glad it is fall, becuase now running is fun! I love the fur vest. It is SO not me, but it is really fun!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think that same lyric in my head a LOT. (It's only running playlist too!) You look so cute in your date night picture!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You WILL run a great race in 2 weeks. You are TOTALLY ready. I got what I wanted....I finished 17.2 miles in a headwind:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Man, it feels so good when things click :) So glad you had such a fab run!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You'll rock your race! LOVE the date night outfit : )

    ReplyDelete