Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Flexibility

I would love to say that my type A personality is a product of being a busy working mom....or maybe a product of trying to fit it all in but no....that is how I've always been.  I swear from the day I was born I was making goals and trying to reach them before all my peers.  I schedule, make lists, set goals, and plan....plan....plan.  All of this makes our house and my life run pretty smoothly....most days.  One goal that I have been working on this year and admit I still need to work on is what I do when the plan doesn't go the way I have planned.  When life gets in the way of my running plan.....well watch out.  I tend to either get really irritated and pout or get frustrated and just quit for the day.  I need to work on my flexibility for when life gets in the way....which it does often.  I would love to be the kind of runner that is flexible about when I do my runs, especially my long runs.  Right now I have a whole routine I follow before the run and if that is changed it throws me all off.  Some day I will be able to be flexible and be able to head out the door whenever the time is there.

What do you do when you reach bumps in the road?

5 comments:

  1. Sometimes I get super frustrated and freak out but I am trying to get better about this lately and just work out the issue.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the best solution to making sure runs get done is first thing in the morning. I'll drag my butt out of bed at 4 if that's what it takes! Good luck to you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I need to do that too! Having kids has definitely made me more flexible! When I plan to get up early to run and one of them is up in the night, beware, I am a witch the next day if I can't get up and get in my workout.

    ReplyDelete
  4. There was a time when this post could have been written about me. Happily not anymore :)

    Forcing myself to allow for a little flexibility has made the biggest difference in accomplishing more and being less frustrated.

    ReplyDelete